Sunday, July 29, 2018

My Favorite French Songs/ Mis Favoritas Canciones Francesas

When you discover French music/ cuando descubres musica Francesa!
Video- Tourner dans la vide- Indila

Hello! I wrote this blog post with the purpose of sharing my favorite French songs, and also to introduce some French music to those who have never heard it or want to listen to some 50's-60's French tracks and music from the early 2000's and 2010's. Honestly, I'm the only person I know who listens to 50's French music. It has to be my second favorite French thing next to macarons. As you listen, you will find that 50's music, whether it be in English or in Spanish (I'm planning to do a post on Spanish music next!) they all have similar instrumental styles and for some, even lyrics! Always feel free to google translate the lyrics of a French song. Through French music, I am learning the language more, and my listening skills have improved since the last time I was in my French 101 class. When I listen to the 50's-60's songs, I feel as if I was a French cat in my past life. Who knows. I only know that some of these songs bring me nostalgia to a place I've never known. I'll just start by saying that the first song is my favorite French song by the chanteuse, Edith Piaf!
~~~~~
Hola! Escribo esta entrada con el propósito de compartir mis favoritas canciones de la lengua Frances. Con esta entrada, quiero introducir unas canciones franceses de los años 50/60, y de los tempranos años de los 2000 y 2010. La verdad es que yo soy la unica persona que conozco que escucha música Francés de los 50. La música Francesa es mi segunda cosa favorita, a lado de macarons. Si escuchas, vas a ver que la musica de los 50, de cualquier lenguaje, de Ingles, o Espanol (planeo hacer una entrada sobre mi favorita musica en Espanol!) que todos tienen el instrumento y estilo similar, y para unas, hasta la letra! Esta disponible google para buscar lo que significa las palabras de estas canciones. De parte de la música Francesa, yo aprendo mucho del lenguaje, y mis habilidades de escuchar han mejorado desde la ultima vez que acabe mi clase de Frances 101. Aunque sea chistoso, cuando escucho a estas canciones de los 50-60, siento como si fuera un gato Francés en mi vida pasada. Quien sabe. Yo solo se unas de estas canciones trae nostalgia a lugares que no he conocido. Voy a empezar por diciendo que mi favorita cancion es por la chanteuse, Edith Piaf!

Edith Piaf avec Theo Sarapo- A quoi ca sert l'amour? (1962)



My favorite lyrics/ Mi letra favorita:  
"Mais toi, t'es le dernier,
Mais toi, t'es le premier!
Avant toi, 'y avait rien,
Avec toi je suis bien!"

Serge Gainsbourg- Le poinconneur des Lilas (1959) 


Poinconneur was Gainsbourg's first hit song (and one of my favorites). Lilas is a train station in Paris. I recently heard that they were going to put some kind of honorary to Serge Gainsbourg at this train station. When I go back to Paris I definitely have to visit this train station along with his house. I love the lyrics to this song as he goes from saying "des petits trous" (translation: the little holes) to referring the holes as to those he will make on his head by shooting himself. The meaning of the song is about a man at his job who ends up hating the repetition of what he has to do every day to the point that it turns him insane. If you ask me, I think it is absolutely genius. Another one of my favorite songs from him is La Javanaise (below).

Poinconneur fue la primera canción con éxito (y es una de mi favoritas). Lilas es una estación de tren en Paris. Recientemente, escuchó que iban a poner un honorario en esa estación dedicada a Serge Gainsbourg. Cuando regrese a París (espero un dia pronto), yo voy a hacer un viaje a visitar esta estación y también su casa. Amo las palabras de la cancion cuando va diciendo, "des petits trous," (traducción: los hoyos pequeños) y continúa cantando la canción hasta que el se refiere a esos hoyos pequeños que van a estar en su cabeza, por dispararse él mismo. El significado de la canción es sobre un hombre que trabaja en la estación de tren, Lilas, y cada dia mas odia la repetición de lo que tiene que hacer en el trabajo, hasta que se vuelve el mismo disparatado (ja, juego de palabras). Si me preguntas, yo creo que el de verdad es un genio. Otra de mis canciones favoritas de el es La Javanise (abajo).

Serge Gainsbourg- La Javanaise (1968) 



My favorite lyrics: 
"Ne vous déplaise
En dansant la Javanaise
Nous nous aimions 
Le temps d'une chanson"

France Gall- Laisse tomber les filles (1964) 


This song was written by no other than Serge Gainsbourg himself! The fact that he could write songs for teenage girls to sing shows another one of his talents. Here is also a cover of the Weeknd's version with the lyrics of this song in the background. I was impressed listening to this song and that the Weeknd would know of such song (then again he is Canadian so maybe it's not that weird). 

Esta canción era escrita por no otro más que Serge Gainsbourg. El hecho que él podía escribir canciones para niños jóvenes enseña que el si esta lleno de talento. También puse aqui un cover de The Weeknd, donde el canta la letra de la canción en el fondo. Estuve bien impresionada que The Weeknd conociera tal canción (bueno, el es Canadiense entonces no es tan raro).

The Weeknd- Montreal (2011)


Juliette Greco- Coin de Rue (1955) 


This song brings me back nostalgia to my days in France, and simply walking in the streets of Paris and Southern France. Of course, the title of the song is "coin de rue" meaning "corner of the street." You don't need to understand the lyrics to understand that the song is about nostalgia and/or youth, and that's exactly what I understood the song to be about. Truly, songs are what one makes of them.  This song is a cover of the original song actually, I also love Charles Trenet's version of it.

Esta cancion me trae nostalgia de los días que pasé en Francia, simplemente caminando las calles de París y el sur de Francia. Por supuesto, el título de la canción, "coin de rue" significa "esquina de la calle." No es necesario entender la letra para saber que esta canción se trata de nostalgia y/o de la juventud, y eso lo que yo entendí de la canción. De verdad, las canciones son lo que uno los hace. Esta cancion tambien es un cover de la canción original de Charles Trenet, su versión tambien es linda.

Christie Laume- Rouge Rouge (1967)


Christie Laume is the sister of Theo Sarapo and belle-souer of Edith Piaf. This song is just one of the many examples of the 1960's French ye-ye pop genre.

Christie Laume es la hermana de Theo Sarapo y la cuñada de Edith Piaf. Esta canción es una de los varios ejemplos del ye-ye pop Francés.

Indila- Derniere Danse (2014)

This is the newest song out of all the ones I have talked about on this list. I do love her album, "Mini World" and the other songs in that album like, "Tourner dans la vide," and "S.O.S." 
 My favorite lyric of the song is "Je suis un enfant du monde." It simply means, "I am a child of the world." It's a brilliant lyric that I can deeply relate to. The song is so beautiful, I even got my mom into this song. I would listen to it on repeat when I was in Mexico and she did not mind at all. 

Esta es la cancion mas nueva de todas en esta lista. Yo amo su album, "Mini World," y las otras canciones en su álbum como, "Tourner dans la vide," y "S.O.S." Mi favorita parte de la letra es cuando dice, "Je suis un enfant du monde." Simplemente significa, "Yo soy una hija del mundo." Es una letra brillante y si puedo relacionarme a ella. La canción es tan bonita, que hasta mi mama le gusto. La repetí varias veces en México y no le importo. 






This post proves that I absolutely love listening to French music. It has definitely become one of my favorite music genres since 2016. When I listen to these songs, I'm improving my French listening skills and evolving to become a global citizen (what I aspire to be, and I'm happy to be starting this journey with French music).

El propósito de esta publicación es para enseñar que si amo la música Francesa de verdad. Se ha convertido en unos de mis favoritos generos de musica desde el 2016. Cuando escucho a estas canciones, yo mejoro mis habilidades de escuchar Frances, y me siento más como una ciudadana del mundo ( lo que yo quiero ser, y estoy feliz en empezar este capítulo con música Francés.

No comments:

Post a Comment